David Young Training partnership with the SMSA
EXCLUSIVE SMSA SHED MEMBER BENEFIT – Discounted machine competence and woodwork training courses
David Young Training has been delivering on-site woodwork training to the education and industry sector for over 20 years.
Since 2019, David Young—in partnership with the Scottish Men’s Sheds Association (SMSA)—has offered machine competence and woodwork training courses to Scottish Men’s Sheds, that are Shed members of the SMSA, at a special discounted rate.
Invite David Young to your Shed to: build your members’ confidence; learn new skills and techniques; and/or achieve qualifications.
Special price for SMSA Shed Members—£660*
Machine Competency Training (up to eight participants) includes:
- Operating machines in a safe manner
- Identifying all controls and safety equipment
- Demonstrating the basic and permissible uses of the machine
- Identifying and adjusting all guards, guides and brakes (if fitted)
- Fitting replacement blades/cutters
- Setting guards within safety limits
- Setting fences and stops within given tolerances
- How to leave machines in a safe state
- The importance of regular maintenance
- Good housekeeping of the machine
Woodwork Training (available at an additional charge) includes:
- Toolbox talks—hand and power tools (safe use, maintenance and good practice)
- Joint construction—how to handcraft dovetail joints, mortise and tenons etc.
- Basic furniture making—including carcass and frame construction
- Furniture restoration
SQA woodworking qualifications available from £350
SQA core skill qualifications from £150
Advice and support is always free!
*If you are on the Islands, please contact David Young Training for a price.
David Young Training
Garden Cottage, Fingask Castle, Rait, PH2 7SA
Tel: 01821 670436 | Mob: 07886 451319 | Email: email@example.com
“This was a comprehensive day during which David used his skills and experience to explain how to
set up, maintain and use several of the pieces of equipment commonly used in most Sheds.
The importance of adequate safety measures and pre-inspection of equipment wereexplained before any item was used.”
“Our Shedders all agreed that this was a valuable and beneficial day. The knowledge gained will be
passed on to our other Shed members.”
Auchterarder and District Men’s Shed
“This training gave me confidence to handle some machinery for the first time, it reinforced safe use and also gave us a knowledgeable assessment of our equipment. It highlighted what we need to do to make a more efficient and safe working environment”
“May I take this opportunity to express my appreciation/privilege to have been involved. The theoretical and practical aspects of ‘best working practices’ were inclusive, extensive and delivered in a most understanding manner. I took from the workshop, a broader knowledge base of the safe working operation of the various machinery as instructed. Much appreciated and recommended”
Garnock Valley Men’s Shed