Meet the people behind the Scottish MSA
Jason is the Executive Officer of the SMSA. His role entails the following:
- To work in accordance with SMSA’s aims and purposes.
- To promote and support good practice in Third Sector, Voluntary and Community Organisations and Groups who are involved with the Men’s Sheds Movement.
- To support the growth of SMSA membership.
- To develop and/or support local, national and international networks and forums, where relevant.
- To contribute to the development and implementation of continuous improvement within SMSA and the Scottish Men’s Sheds Movement.
- Represent SMSA on all levels externally, as required
- Enable and facilitate Scottish government, Scottish councils and third sector engagement and participation in national and public policy.
- To disseminate information, signpost and coordinate access to information and training.
- To be an effective member and contributor to the SMSA.
- To participate in SMSA meetings, events & projects.
- Liaise with the graphic designer in the design of SMSA print media and all other promotional material.
- Keep the website and all social media, (Twitter, Facebook, You Tube) updated and/or support those designated to do it.
- Men’s Shed Development
- To engage with groups and individuals in localities across Scotland who have expressed an interest in developing Men’s Sheds to enhance the wellbeing of those taking part, with an emphasis on men over the age of eighteen with ‘time on their hands’.
- To directly build the competence and the capacity of interested groups and individuals in existing developmental positions, developing and delivering effective training to oversee and take forward the supporting roles required of such activity-based schemes (Men’s Sheds) in their communities.
- To create and deliver roadshows around Scotland which promotes the aims and purposes of the SMSA.
- To identify examples of good practice from within Scotland and other countries, drawing on the knowledge and support of national Men’s Sheds Associations and other specialist voluntary and community organisations, networks, intermediary bodies and support agencies.
Jason started creating the Men’s Shed movement in Scotland in 2009 after hearing a talk about Men’s Sheds by Dr Neil Bruce, Chairman of New Zealand Men’s Sheds. After the successful creation of Scotland’s first Men’s Shed in Westhill, he resigned from his role as a Council Development Officer in Westhill and went on to be the full time Men’s Shed Development Officer for Aberdeenshire Voluntary Action from 2013-2016. He has a professional background in publishing and business management and served in the South African Marine Corps. He has lived in Scotland since immigrating from South Africa in 1997.
Isobel is the Administrator of the SMSA. Her role is to ensure the successful running of the day to day administration of the SMSA. Isobel has previous experience in HR and many technical and administration roles in a variety of sectors including oil and gas, aerospace engineering, commercial ship weather routing, housing association, management consultancy, e-learning and the arts. She has also been actively involved in various volunteering works such as counselling and befriending and is particularly proud of her parachute jump raising thousands of pounds for a prostate cancer charity.